We all know how fantastic sugaring is, and we would all love to share sugaring with the world. However, as amazing as sugaring is, there are conditions and circumstances that make it unsafe to sugar certain people. To keep your clients safe, and to keep yourself out of hot water, it is best to ask your clients before each appointment which of the following sugaring contraindications may apply to them. If they have any of these sugaring contraindications, and I can’t stress this enough, DO NOT sugar them. Here is the list of contraindications to look out for.
Along with knowing the areas of the body to avoid, there are some overall sugaring contraindications that you need to be aware of. It is best to ask these questions before the appointment starts. Get in the habit of getting your clients to fill out a consent form before their first appointment. This way, you can catch the contraindication before even taking them into the room, and can explain to them immediately why you are unable to sugar them. Keep in mind, things are always changing. Check in with your clients before every appointment to make sure they haven’t recently begun medications or treatments that would make them ineligible for sugaring.
Medications that Contraindicate Sugaring:
- Accutane. If the client is on Accutane, you can not sugar them. Even after they come off Accutane, clients must get their doctors approval before being sugared.
- Retin-A (Tretinoin)
- Retinol (a vitamin A compound that promotes cell renewal)
- Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Fruit Acids (also known as AHAs – Alpha Hydroxy Acids)
- Topical Vitamin C (The client must be off it for at least four days)
Treatments that Contraindicate Sugaring:
- Chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments. Wait at least a week before sugaring post-treatment
- Use of tanning beds within the last 48 hours
- Sunburns that have not yet healed
If any of the above apply to your clients, please err on the side of caution and do not sugar them. It is not worth the potential risk to either yourself or your clients. Like any other
treatment, sugaring needs to be done correctly to be safe and effective. Watching out for the listed contraindications is a considerable part of that!
Are you a sugaring technician who hasn’t tried out SugarSMAC products yet? Our products are created to leave your clients feeling hydrated and nourished at the best possible cost to you. You can order products easily online and receive free shipping to anywhere in Canada or the USA on all orders over $200! Register here!